Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Bangkok: April Fools Day

April Fools Day is a very special day to me. I asked a beautiful woman to marry me that day. But she later said no.

So I decided to book a trip to one place in Thailand that would help me to forget the disaster from this date last year...Phuket.

So now I'm booked to leave Bangkok Sunday night on the train to Phuket. (Please remember that day. It will be very important later) 'At' suggests I take the water ferry back to Kao San Road, and so for 10 baht I take a great ride back to my hotel. The ferry is a very fast boat and when it stops at the pier, run, don't walk to get on because it stops for only a few seconds before taking off again at a very good clip.

And it just so happens that there is a special Buddhist festival that night, right outside my hotel, so I attend.

A stage is set up on my street with Thai dancers and a young girl singing. When I looked closer I found that the costumes are actually very modest. The women wear what seem like white bathing suits under their costumes.

Kao san seems like a smaller version of Las Vegas. It was a festive night. I went to a bar and had a couple of drinks and some great Thai food and headed home.

The next day I went to the Weekend Market. It's called 'JJ Market' and you get there by taking the Sky Train. It is one of the biggest markets in the entire world.

They sell mostly clothing, Buddhist art and lots and lots of food. This little girl was looking at the Thai version of a pet shop (petting, not eating!!) Bangkok was sweltering hot this weekend. It was 40 degrees Celsius and I spent a lot of time running from to any place that had even a hint of air conditioning. What was I thinking! By the way, you notice I am still looking for those flip flops for you Sarah. Hey Rachael, let me know your size too! I hope you're size 6. These Thais really have small feet!

No comments: