Friday, March 04, 2005

Koh Tao (Turtle Island)

*WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE CONTAINS IDYLLIC IMAGES AND DESCRIPTIONS OF PARADISE THAT MIGHT BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME SNOW-BOUND READERS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.*


What I enjoy most as I snorkel in the coral reef surrounding this beautiful Island, is how the current carries the marine life and myself, by the same sway of the current, back and forth, like an effortless dance of nature. The buoyancy of the salt water holds my body on the surface as I watch the pastel of fishes swim past.

I am in awe of the pastel colors that swim quietly before me. The coral reef looks like some archaeological ruins beneath the waves. I glide over a shallow reef to a deep section that drops off to twelve feet beneath me with a bright white sanding bottom to it. Suddenly a large rainbow colored fish swims out from it's hiding place.

The just as suddenly, a school of a thousand minnows flash before me, all swimming in perfect harmony, never touching, suddenly reversing direction; the color of quick silver. I swim into them but they miraculously swim all around me, never touching me; like the amplitude of a symphony, secretly played out in this eternal Sea.

Dennis wanted you to see what a day at the office looks like today from his point of view.

And remember what I've been saying about dogs hanging around us all the time?

We were sitting having breakfast when we suddenly noticed this little guy with us. I asked Dennis to take this picture and he said: "this should be good to get the dog in it too. I didn't even know he was under my hammock til that moment. I feel so protected where ever I go. Meliss, is that you in a new disguise?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have indeed donned my dog suit and I'm tagging along.

Your descriptions could make a grown woman, er dog, cry. Poor us.

Those beach photos really bring home how absolutely sudden and devastating the tsunami must have been.

Tell Dennis to be sure and take his scheduled breaks at the office there or the union will be all over him.

Anonymous said...

How relaxing does that look, i could use that kind of job dad...Cheers to you. Sounds beautiful under the sea wish i could join you....Have fun

Vivyan said...

And a poet said, "Speak to us of Beauty."

Where shall you seek beauty, and how shall you find her unless she herself be your way and your guide?

And how shall you speak of her except she be the weaver of your speech?

The aggrieved and the injured say, "Beauty is kind and gentle.

You walk in beauty my friend,
talk to ya soon Vivyan

Steven said...

b$: I already invited you to join us here! I held breakfast an extra hour waiting. But then I have heard the frozen hair look is in this year. Sawadee Cup my friend!

Steven said...

Vivyan: I just have the blessing of meeting wonderful people who show me the way. Thanks Vivyan.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful it is there. You sound so much at peace. Happy trekking and thanks again for sharing your trip with us.

Love Deeds In the blogs comments it asks - Choose an identity. Okay I'm the woman riding a white stallion around the rocky crags beside the ocean. I used to find real fairy rings when I was young so I know all about fairy princesses. Life is magical.

Anonymous said...

WOW I hope you fall right through that hammock. HAHA jj I wouldn't want you to hurt the dog. Oh and Steve nice dress.
PS My e-mail is fucked up. I have tried to write you many times and it never works. Keep trying to write me I am getting yours.
R

Steven said...

R: It makes my day when I see you are reading this Blog. You are a daughter to me and I love that you're tuning in.