Monday, October 01, 2007

I Saw It On The Radio



Toronto, Canada, June 11, 2007
I'm a shameless fan of the CBC Radio program: O'Reilly And The Age Of Persuasion, so when my brother Mike, invited me to watch a taping of the show at Pirate Radio, I was thrilled. A few weeks ago I was doing some carpentry at Mike's home and I got a chance to see him preparing the script and sound bites for the show. I am in awe of how much care he takes and how much work he does to give the show the extras that put it above and beyond most other shows on the air. And now I have a chance to see the show being made.I show up at the Pirate Studio in downtown Toronto. Terry O'Reilly is one of the six partners of this Advertising agency. It's a very inviting building with a relaxed atmosphere and lots of comfortable chairs and a small cafeteria with many jars of candy on a counter for anyone to sample. I arrange to meet my mom and Mike's wife, Lorrie here at Pirate. As it happens, the three of us meet right outside the building as if on cue. Mike comes out of the sound room to greet us and takes us back to meet Terry and to watch the taping for a while.He gives us a copy of the script so we can follow along. What impresses me the most, is how much care Mike puts into every line that is read. He helps with the tempo and inflection. It's great to finally meet Terry O'Reilly. Terry is a very quiet, self effacing man who has a genuine manner and makes us feel very welcome. The combination of Mike and Terry together brings a fresh, exciting element to the program. The people standing in front of the sound booth, from left to right are: Don Dickenson ( the guy who says "And now... Terry O'Reilly and the Age of Persuasion" in the opening), Terry O'Reilly (former NHL Hockey star and host of the show), Keith Ohman, a.k.a. "The Duke of Decibel", a.k.a. "The Sonic Swede" and Mike Tennant (former bed-wetter).This is the receptionist for Pirate Radio; 'Justice Darragh (There are so many puns here, I won't even start). I have included her here because she's lovely, and I want to. Thanks Mike and Terry for inviting us to see your show in production. They have completed their second season of shows and are now waiting for final approval for the third season which I have no doubt, CBC will give them (if they don't want a full scale riot from the listeners of Canada). Mike and Terry are also negotiating a book deal based on the show. Now that I've had a chance to watch this taping, I can truly say: 'I saw it on the radio'.

No comments: