Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Our First Delhi Meal

Delhi India, January 6, 2007
This story is from our recent Journey in India
This has been a big day for Aw and me. Our driver and guide, Arun, has taken us to Raj Ghat, where Gandhi was cremated. Then we visited the famous tower; Qutub Minar. Now it's time for lunch. We tell Arun we want to eat where the locals eat, so he takes us to a rough looking little restaurant that serves Punjabi food. We are the only foreigners in this place and we get a lot of looks. But everyone is friendly and smiling as they look over to see these strange people in their midst. This one minute video is our first authentic Delhi meal since arriving in India. Aw asks Arun to give us some suggestions as to what we should eat. You can see a sink across from our table. We all take turns washing our hands before and after the meal. It is the custom to eat Indian food with your right hand. You never want to use your left hand to eat or shake another person's hand. We all really enjoy the food. We have chicken curry with rice and japatti bread. Aw is very bold and loves to try new things. And she's great with the language. The only word she keeps having trouble with is 'japatti', which she pronounces 'pah-jah-pee'. I don't like to correct her on it though. I think it's cute the way she says it. The green chutney sets off the flavors of the whole meal very well. We're so glad Arun brought us here.

4 comments:

John Oates said...

Good blog – it's good to see the videos, as they remind me of my own time in India. Didn't I just see you eating with your left hand in the video though?

Steven said...

john oates: Oh My God, you're right! I was eating with my left hand. I made so many mistakes that way. Thanks for your comment.

John Oates said...

I think every Western visitor has done that at some point! I have fond memories of trying my best to tear off chunks of bread using one hand (by leaning my wrist on it and tearing), then giving up and stealthily grabbing it with two hands.

Steven said...

john oates: Are you sure you weren't sitting across from us in that restaurant? I did the secret rip and tear trick many times when eating.