Friday, April 29, 2005

Laos Countryside

Loas, April 22, 2005

As I travelled to Vang Vieng, I shot some pictures from the window of our bus to give you some idea of what the country looks like in Laos.
I found it to be rugged beauty with many steep hills and valleys.

The soil is very red and I passed many areas that had been burnt to make charcoal to sell.

Here is an area that was burnt out for charcoal. Two women in the seat behind me had a long discussion about the reason for the burning, and I would have turned around and told them but I didn't want them to know I was eavesdropping on their conversation.

The road wound so much that we could hear our water bottles rolling back and forth on the bus and no one could really sleep.

The homes were very much the same all along this road. They were made from Bamboo and were usually on stilts. They were just left natural, without being painted or decorated. I found them to be very beautiful the way they blended with the countryside.

As you can see here, there were satellite receivers and electricity mixed with the old style homes.

I really liked this country of jungle and hills and valleys and especially with it's misty blue tinge of color.

No comments: