Thursday, March 19, 2009

Aw Canada At Last


October 28, 2008

It's Thursday afternoon and Melbah Toasty arrives at our home looking very excited. "I have a letter for you A-w-w-w-w-w-wsome!" It's from Immigration Canada. We have been waiting for the last six months without hearing a peep from those guys. We applied for Aw to become a landed immigrant just after we got married. We mailed out 62 pages of documents by the time we were done. My favorite part was when they asked us to send photos to prove we have actually spent time together. the captions to the photos read: "and here we are in front of the Taj Mahal"...and this is us at Angkor Wat...and this is us at the Banff Springs Hotel... and here we are at the CN Tower... oh and this one was during our Camel Safari in Jaisisalmer..." I have dated Aw on 3 continents and 7 countries.
I really didn't think we would get all that paperwork correct the first time. I expected there would be revisions to make. And every month or so I would call Immigration and ask if they had any word for us but there was nothing. Then suddenly Melissa received a notice saying that the first stage was complete. I'll never forget Aw's reaction to the letter. She looked up at Melissa and Mom and said: "I love you". Then, miraculously, 5 minutes after we read the letter, I got a phone call from the local Immigration office. They wanted to know if Aw could be available the following Tuesday to complete have her immigration interview. Oh My God!
When we sat down for the interview we expected a gruelling series of questions. Instead, we were met by a very friendly guy who said: "Congratulations. There will be a ceremony in half an hour. Go ahead and find a nice place to sit, and welcome to Canada!"
The people who work in the Immigration offices are immigrants themselves.
This is Aw holding her brand new Immigration Certificate. Aw Canada at last!

No comments: